Sunday, May 17, 2009

Artist and dreamer


My next two art shows are just days away. I usually ramble around planning about 30 different compositions for each new show. Then I have to force myself to choose. I hate that part. I always want to see them all, outside my head, where other people will see them too. It is always such an adventure to see how they come into being on paper. Whichever sketches are closest to being ready for launch into color, those are usually the winners. Some of my favorite ideas are still floating out there, whispering, "me, me next".


The painting posed in front of me is just a print of a fairly large one. That is a cropped piece of it I made so I could remember her. She's "Romany Rose"--- a gypsy mermaid, with a story of course! She is surrounded by her friends. The hippo campus love her and graze peacefully nearby. Getting her to pose for me was quite an accomplishment. This special kind of mermaid is very private about her ways. She would not look out into the eyes of people who would see this painting. It would have revealed too much. I have many mermaids with chapters about their lives, their family relationships, adventures and misfortunes. They are all very concerned about the "Dark One". Maybe I'll get around to posting her, along with a bit of her story. It is an on going saga, as are all their stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment