Saturday, May 16, 2009

Women in Hats


This is from a series I did for a commission. I brought a stack of old magazine ads to my client's home. We planned a series to work together as a group to be hung over her bed. I made cut outs for each painting in order to plan for the sizes and how they would be arranged. With the sizes selected, and her choices from the ephemera, we then adjusted the image details a bit and planned colors to coordinate with her room.
I gave the "Women in Hats" names. This one is named for my Dad's mother. Her name was Maylyndy, and this could be a stylized picture of her, the resemblance is so strong.
One of the others looked very much like my Mom's mother, and her name was also unusual and appropriate. Oddly, they both started with "May".... her name was Mayomia. They were both from western Kentucky. I thought the hats even suited their personalities.
These paintings are fun to do. I've made cards which are suitable for framing out of most of my art.

No comments:

Post a Comment